10.31.2007

Response to a Response to myself.

For those who have absolutely NO idea what on earth I'm about to talk about, please go here: www.homeschoolblogger.com/christinie and read her latest two entries. Thank you. :)

Christine, here is my response.
You make a good debate argument, and are certainly digging deeper into the discussion of free will. I shall happily continue with my point. (Please forgive spelling errors. I hate to make excuses, but I am still under pain medication from my wisdom teeth removal.)

"When I said "allow" it meant that, if we don't ask the Holy Spirit to do something, He most likely won't do it. So in a way we are not "allowing" the Spirit to work.

You ask where or when are we ever in control? It’s not really a control issue here…it’s a choice God has made, to give us a choice, and then He responds accordingly, in a predetermined way."

If we believe in a Sovereign God, then there is absolutely no need for us to "allow" or "ask" Him to do anything. I believe that God has in mind every single "decision" He "allows" us to make, because He decided to have us decide it ourselves. It's complicated... Let me explain.

In God's plan, He has everything worked out. From the time of Creation, to the time of Redemption. Everything that has happened since the Beginning has all been His doing. He knew that Adam and Eve were going to sin; He knew that Judas would betray His Son; He knew that I was going to rebel against Him at age 14, and return again. He knows every decision I will make in my life, He has named my hours, and He has already formed my future to its perfect state. (And I mean "perfect" in a sense that it is formed by God, therefore, it is "perfect" for me.) So, perhaps it is more God allowing US to have the free will to make our own decisions to help us grow and to learn. But He already knows the outcome of everything. Make sense? Sort of like He gives us the question, we answer, but He already knows our answer and already has a response.

I did not say that we were ever in control of God. No doubt we are never in total control of anything, much less our own lives. So I certainly disagree with this statement: "I am not saying that the Spirit CAN NOT work if we don't "allow" Him, but He most likely won't." How in the world does that work? If that were true, then it would be completely up to us for everything. If we sin and rebel, then we certainly aren't "allowing" Him to do anything, are we? If it were totally up to us to decide if/when to ever return to Him, it could never happen. If God's got everything totally under control, then He's working inside of us even during that rebellious time, and He's slowly bringing us back.

And it's the same situation with unbelievers. They have absolutely no power whatsoever to "allow" God to do anything. A lot of them have never even heard Christ's name spoken before, or if they have, some are certainly not asking Him into their hearts right away. They have no way to "ask" Him to work inside of them. They are completely independent on themselves. Does that mean He "most likely won't" work inside of them anyway? If that were true, none of us would most likely be believers today.

"Do you disagree with me when I said that you don't see many miracles in America, but that they're happening all the time where the gospel is going forth? Many miracles are happening in the USA, but not like they were in the New Testament, and not like they are where the gospel is going forth today."

Again, I have to disagree with you. The gospel is most certainly being spread throughout America, and I can tell you right now I've seen Him work firsthand in my family, and in my church. Very true, you don't see people rise from the dead; you don't see people miraculously recovered overnight too often. But that doesn't mean that God isn't working in America, simply because there aren't enough hearts "asking" Him too. And I don't know where you got the idea that very many miracles DON'T happen in the USA, because you yourself have proclaimed many miracles the Lord has performed in yours and your family's lives. There are a lot of Christians out there, and God has worked in every single one of them. Miracles happen every day - they just aren't quite as magnificent as they were in the Bible.

"Of course I am of the opinion that our main purpose in life, after glorifying God, is to "go and make disciples." I have a feeling that you are Presbyterian, and I know that some Presbyterians don't believe that we have to "make disciples" because some people are "chosen," and once you're saved, you're always saved (even if you murder someone and never repent) (I AM NOT saying that you believe that! I'm just speaking about the beliefs of Presbyterian I have heard speak)."

You went wayyy off topic here, I think. ;) You're right, I'm Presby, but what you posted here is something I think should be reserved for another convo... perhaps the one on Mrs. T's blog. And I am perfectly ready to defend my faith there if you should so wish to debate with me again.

So to wrap up my point, I believe that when it comes to free will, it is not about what WE do, but what God decides to place in our lives, and how we respond to it. He'll act in whatever way He sees fit, and while we are our own person, He is continually working in us, and is in total control, day in and day out.

Hope this all makes sense, and I'll continue further if you wish to keep discussing this. :)

Emma

P.S. The only reason I posted as Anonymous in the first place, is because some people seem to get offended whenever I post, and then get intimidated and back away, and then it never gets resolved. And then some have their ears too full with past arguments with me that there isn't enough room for my words from today to pass through. But since you opened the doors to my identity, I entered. :)

4 comments:

Rita T. said...

Mrs. T's blog? Shame on you, ha ha. It's okay. I know I've put up some strong messages lately. I think aloud sometimes.

One thing that you said tonight struck me, and it was about there being lots of Christians in America. I think that's true. And there are lots of miracles going on, but people aren't sensitive to them. They don't realize what's happening because they're skeptical and attribute things to coincidence.

Wow, Emma. You're passionate about your beliefs. That's good. Nobody can accuse you of being lukewarm!

Mrs. T.

Unknown said...

Hey girlie, I can't remember if I've told you this before, but this is something I often use in discussions about "free will." We are perfectly free to choose God and to do good. But because of our sin nature (depravity), we are unable to make that choice without the intervention of the Holy Spirit. Make sense?

Anyway. I tagged you. :D

Anonymous said...

Wow... You really are a deep thinker. I didn't mean to offend you. My last post really wasn't aimed at you. I agreed with you that we can’t control God, so I was really trying to clarify what I meant in that post. A lot of the stuff I wrote was just random thoughts of mine. I kind of got off on a tangent. I didn't mean it to be pointed at you.

I love debating, but I'm not sure if we can continue this debate without getting someone upset at the other person. But I would like to clarify some of the thoughts that you have presented as my own. You misunderstood several of my points (the way you have put them here are actually quite different than what I said/meant.)

I respect your opinions, and I must say, I agree with a lot of the stuff you said (much of it is what I meant in the first place).

I do believe miracles happen all of the time in America. Most Americans, some Christians included, are just hardened to them. They don’t want to accept them. My reference was to the number of people being raised from the dead in places like China and the Middle East, as a witness to Jesus Christ, where His gospel is going forth. In America, almost everyone has heard the gospel, so what I mean is, the gospel is not new to them, thus, when I say “the gospel is not going out” it’s because it’s already out there, but some people are still finding it (I believe you misunderstood me here). That doesn’t mean that it’s not happening at all here, we just don’t see it as much.

I do disagree with you when you said, “[Miracles] just aren't quite as magnificent as they were in the Bible.” Miracles are just as magnificent now as they were in Bible times, but most of those kinds of miracles are happening in China (and other such countries where the gospel is “new news” to most people). See John 14:11-14. In part of it Jesus says: “…or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these…”

When saying God "most likely won't work in them (as you said ‘unbelievers’)" I am talking about the people who have hardened themselves against God (see next paragraph), not people who have never heard the gospel [once again, you have misunderstood me]. God will still use them (people whose hearts are hardened), but, more than likely, it won't be for their good, but for the good of others (like Pharaoh or Pilate).

For example, do you know what the Bible says practicing homosexuals are? They are Biblical examples of people who have turned their back on God (see Romans 1: 18-32). They have decided that they want nothing to do with God, so God lets them go. Then Satan "owns" them (“God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts… Furthermore, SINCE THEY DID NOT THINK IT WORTHWHILE to retain the knowledge of God, He gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done.” Romans 1:26 and 28). God can still take them back, but a lot of these people aren't saved when they die (God doesn't take them back, because they made their decision). If someone anywhere was seeking truth, then the Lord most definitely would speak to them (their heart) or send someone to them. God can use anyone He wants to.

Yes, I know that God has always known everything [another misunderstanding]. God is not in a “time zone.” Where He is (heaven or whatever you call it) there is no time. He is in the past, present, and future all at the same "time." He is not subject to "time." It’s suspected that the earth may be the only place that time is experienced in the way we know it. It’s sort of an quantum-physics (time, space, and relativity) thing, and our attempts to understand it fall short.

He just is.

I agree, He knows our every move. He knows what we have done, what we are doing, and what we will do.

Shoot, I'm debating (I really do love a good debate). Well, that's what I believe, and you might not believe the same stuff, but that's okay. I personally still think that you're going to heaven (I'm not Baptist, even though I currently attend a Baptist church) ;) I believe we both know the Lord, and He is in us.

Hopefully I haven't upset you, but thanks for your thoughts, and I’m sorry for the misunderstandings.

God bless,

Christine

P.S. by the way, God tells us to ask Him. "Ask and it will be given to you," Matt 7:7, "Ask of me and I will make the nations your inheritance" Psalms 2:8 (God talking to David), "...how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him!" Matt 7:11b.

P.S.S. I really don't know the mind of God, but my beliefs are founded in what the Lord has spoken to my heart concerning the things I’m reading in His Word. The Lord speaks to everyone differently, and this is what He has made me understand.

By the way, how many days a week do you dance? Good luck on your production! I wish my ballet company did the Nutcracker every year! :D

Wow this is a really long comment! ;)

Anna said...

Eh ho...check my blog you have a tag!!!! (I might have tagged you 3 times I can't remember..so scroll down a little bit....and see if i did lol!)